Sunday, August 4, 2013

Nursery Project# 6 ~ Beatrix Potter Book Page Letters

Hello, dear friends!

Olivia is now here and I will soon be doing my post of the nursery all finished, but in the mean time I still have tutorials and projects to share with you that I did for the nursery.

One of the first projects that came to my mind for Olivia's nursery was to do her name in block letters with Beatrix Potter book pages modge podged to them. 

I love how this project ended up working out! It's similar to the modge podge monogram that I did last summer for my niece Zooey's room. You can see that tutorial here.

So I started out by painting the letters with my mix of Old White and Provence (with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) that I used on the dresser and bookshelf for the nursery. You can see that post here.

I painted two coats and waxed with clear and then dark wax.

I grabbed my trusty old library books and started cutting out pages. I was only able to use book pages from The Tale of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, and The Flopsy Bunnies stories.

Unlike my project for my niece, I was able to use full book pages as opposed to scraps of paper that I Modge Podged together to fit onto the letter Z.
I outlined the page with the actual letter, cut it out, and with an exacto knife I was able to get at the inner parts of the letters without cutting the paper.

I let the sides overlap a bit so that I had extra paper to work with in case I messed up when Modge Podging the book pages to the wood letters.

First layer of the matte Modge Podge

Second Layer of the matte Modge Podge

After letting the Modge Podge dry (about 20 minutes) I started removing the overhanging parts using an exacto knife and a cutting board.

I then used my distressing ink pad and a Q-tip to distress the edges of each letter to give it an old looking antique feel

A closer look

I liked the look so well that I decided to do the distressing all over each letter and not just on the edges

Layer 3 of the matte Modge Podge drying

I have no clue why the A is so different from the rest of the letters. My husband added a piece of wood to make the A a little taller to match the rest of the letters

Please let me know if you have any questions if you decide to try this out. 
I would love to help and love to see what you come up with!


Linking With ~

Creative Home Expressions ~ The Creative Home & Garden Hop
TwelveOEight ~ Inspiration Monday
Dimples & Pigs ~ Give me the Goods link party 
The Farmhouse Porch ~ Tuesdays the Scoop
A Diamond in the Stuff ~ Time to Shine
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow us Wednesdays
Gingersnap Crafts ~ Wow me Wednesdays
Ivy & Elephants ~ What's it Wednesday
Adorned from Above ~ Wednesday Link Party
Glamorous Affordable Life ~ All Things Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create it Thursday
Saving4Six ~ Think Tank Thursday
The Fine Craft Guild ~ Link Party
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home
Common Ground ~ Be Inspired
The Shabby Nest ~ Frugal Friday
My Repurposed Life ~ Catch as Catch Can
My Romantic Home ~ Show & Tell Friday
Dear Creatives ~ Inspire Me Spotlight
Funky Junk Interiors ~ Party Junk
Vintage Chic ~ Friday's Five Features