Monday, September 12, 2011

Chair and Dresser Re-do

Hello lovely friends,

 I just wanted to share some of my latest projects with everybody. I am by no means an expert at any of this! I just do the easy kits and box instructions. Maybe some day I'll tackle something more difficult like distressing a larger piece with two different paint colors. I'm not that brave and we don't have a house yet with enough room for me to take on any bigger projects anyway.

My first project was this little children's chair that I picked up for $2 bucks at a Salvation Army Store Down River near where I work. (Down River is the area along the Western shore of the Detroit River) Such a great deal! I already had the crackle paint from painting a shelf a few years ago.


The color wasn't really that bad but there were at least five layers of different colored paint on there. I really like to make things my own anyway, so off with the paint. At first I tried sanding it all away with my husband's electric sander. I gave up after a few minutes though, there was just so much paint and it wasn't worth it when I could just simply skip that difficult and sometimes unnecessary step in the process. So, I just sanded down a few of the uneven spots.

I chose Rust-Oleum American Accents Crackle Creations kit. 


This is the top coat before the actual 'Venetian White' color (the crackle) is applied



A close look at the crackle finish


I love my fixed-up little chair!

My planter holder is one that I bought at the Petoskey Fairgrounds Antique Show 

~*~

My second project was a two part project 

The first part ~

I bought a dresser at another Salvation Army on a fun thrifting day. I had been looking for sometime for a buffet style piece of furniture or a dresser to use in our dining area. I let a few good deals slip by but luckily I didn't pass up this piece. It cost me $60 dollars. A little more than the other pieces that I had liked but this was a much prettier design and it's a good solid piece of furniture. I think it could have sold for a lot more...


The dresser was in pretty rough shape, lots of nicks, scratches and stains
(Don't mind the mess we're still in the process of unpacking and hanging things up)

I decided to go with a plain black color and then to sand the edges back down to the natural wood color

I chose Rust-Oleum American Accents 'Black Canyon' satin paint.


The first coat...


The second coat...


Outside, sanding it down with fine sand paper


A close view of the finished product

I just love these old dresser drawer pulls! They're just beautiful and a big part of why I decided to buy this dresser


A look at the whole dresser....

~*~

The second part of this project ~

 I wanted to line the drawers with some pretty paper. My problem was that I can't stand the smell of the toxic drawer liners and who knows what those horrible fumes are doing to our skin and our health in general?! Also, I'm allergic to the scented kind with the pretty designs. So I started to research online about what I could do to line the drawers to make them look pretty, while also being inexpensive and non-toxic. Here's what I did ~

During my research I read that wrapping paper or scrap booking paper is a good alternative and just gluing them down with Mod Podge would do just the trick. I already had some Christmas wrapping paper that I've used for two years in a row and I just adore the design. I had always wondered what I could do to keep the paper in some way so it seemed like the perfect thing!
Hobby Lobby sells the biggest rolls of wrapping paper that I have ever seen. I still have more left over after two Christmas's and this project! Just a suggestion if anyone wants to try this out themselves.

I cut three strips of wrapping paper to the size of the drawers



I brushed the bottom of the drawer with the matte Mod Podge and immediately applied the wrapping paper
I started flattening the paper with my hands at the center of the drawers and worked my way to the edges


Then I used a roller to smooth out wrinkles and bubbles


and then this little tool to tuck the pieces under the sides of the drawer


I waited a few hours for the glue to dry and then I applied a thin layer of the glue over the top of the paper. I let that dry for a few more hours and then I finally put the dresser back together again.


The finished product...


There are a few wrinkles but this was my first time doing this so I'm okay with that.


Now my "brand new" dresser/buffet table is ready to use, decorate and store items in...It doesn't even look like the same piece of furniture. That's why I love refinishing furniture myself! 

I hope you all enjoyed seeing my little projects! 

Linking with ~ An Oldie, but goodie Link Party at Small Things


Love,

1 comment:

Nancy Bandzuch said...

Wonderful job on all of this--you have really been busy!
Thanks for linking up to the oldies party this week--the new party will be live on Monday night.
Nancy